So if you’re a parent of little BOYS today, you’ve already noticed there is a serious shortage of books geared toward 2-5+ year old boys. Publishers have the girls pretty well covered with Fancy Nancy, Olivia the Pig, Purplicious, Pinkalicious, Goldilicious… you get the idea.
Since my boys were the ripe old age of 1 my husband and I have read them books almost every single night. Bath, P.J.’s, brush teeth… BOOKS, lots and lots of books. I feel very fortunate that my boys are so engaged and truly love reading.
Given that we feel pretty dialed-in, I thought I would share our top ten “boy” approved books that are in constant rotation.
These 10 books (in no particular order) are some of our favorites. Some have beautiful lessons about friendship, getting old, manners and the scary things in life like going to the doctor. Some are just plain hilarious. Not all of the stories are necessarily politically correct, but you won’t be bored. Nor will your boys (or GIRLS) for that matter!
1. What Do You Do, Dear? written: Sesyle Joslin illustrated: Maurice Sendak
2. Enemy Pie written: Derek Munson illustrated: Tara Calahan King
3. Froggy goes to the Doctor written: Johnathan London illustrated: Frank Remkiewicz
4. I Stink! written: Kate Mcmullan illustrated: Jim Mcmullan
5. City Dog Country Frog written: Mo Willems illustrated: Jon J Muth
6. Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel written & illustrated: Virginia Lee Burton
7. Busiest Firefighters Ever! written & illustrated: Richard Scarry
8. Toy Boat written: Randall de Sève illustrated: Loren Long
9. Otis written & illustrated: Loren Long
10. The Wonky Donkey written: Craig Smith illustrated: Katz Cowley