I just love to learn a city from someone who really knows it. Kendra Cole is the girl to know when it comes to Los Angeles. For over a decade, she has been the face and operator of the world-renowned hotspot, SKYBAR, in the Mondrian Hotel. This lovely sun-kissed California girl took time out of her busy schedule to share some secrets and give us her L.A. travel tips. Thank you so much Kendra, such a pleasure!
Walk me through your perfect day-off in L.A?
My perfect day off is sleeping in, then going for a hike in Temescal Canyon and relaxing on the beach in Malibu. I rarely get to do this, but when I do, it’s time I cherish.
What’s hot in the cocktail world right now?
Our most popular drink is the Mojito. It’s a classic and always a hit, especially in the summer time. Every bar should have rum, mint leaves, limes and a muddler! I also love Gin inspired cocktails, with cucumber or basil and grapefruit….very refreshing!
Okay, gives us the scoop… ever been starstruck?
The most starstruck moment I’ve ever had was a night when the UK Prime Minister, Tony Blair, and Stevie Wonder were both at SKYBAR hanging out together. It was such an odd pairing of celebrities, but fascinating to watch them interact! Both men were extremely gracious and humble.
I would imagine your hours can get a little tough. How do you always manage to look fresh-faced and ready to go?
I learned very early on that nothing good happens after 2am. I have never been one to go to after hour parties or grab drinks after work. I think this has been my best secret after 12 years in the bar business.
What is the number 1 beauty secret you’ve learned living in L.A?
Lots of sunscreen and to always wear a hat when I’m in the sun.
What is your one piece of advice for splendid living in L.A.?
There are so many amazing things to do in LA on a daily basis. The best way to live “splendidly” is to take advantage of the great places to visit. Spend the afternoon at the Getty Museum or Getty Villa. Horse back ride past the Hollywood sign and bike ride along the beach in Santa Monica.
Let’s talk L.A… I’ve just landed for a 2-night trip with my girlfriends. What’s next? Where should we…
1. Grab a sunset cocktail on the beach? The Sunset Restaurant (Malibu)
2. Check-in? Mondrian Hotel (obviously!)
6. Eat Dinner? My weekly go to place is Chateau Marmont in the courtyard…best spaghetti Bolognese ever.
5. Shop for unique “only in L.A” find? Fred Segal. I recently bought a beautiful necklace with a “K” engraved on it from there.
4. + 8. Sightsee? Top 3 places we shouldn’t miss? The Getty Villa in Malibu and The Getty Museum (two of my all time favorite views and places to see art), then Chinese Mann’s Theatre to see all the hand prints for the stars.
9. Drink champagne? Best place to drink champagne is at SKYBAR
3. Do Yoga? I prefer Pilates and Cardio Barre Ballet
-Book a massage? Aurora’s Massage on Sunset…$25 for 60 mins (feet and back)
-Grab coffee? I love to have an afternoon coffee at Urth Cafe on Melrose.
-People watch? Grab lunch at the Beverly Hills Hotel poolside cafe…great atmosphere and people watching.
Share my love of easy elegance and finds from around the globe that are simply fabulous? Ready to make your place a space that you adore? I’d love to help make your house a home. cecy j is currently accepting new interior projects. Let’s chat email@example.com